So…I decided to make my own macaroni & cheese for Thanksgiving. I’ve never made it before but it turned out great!! So I decided to post the recipe so that I can always refer to it if I ever need to.
Ava’s Mac N Cheesy
16 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
1 T dried oregano
3 T salt
1 1/2 lb. extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (Bought at Safeway)
8 oz. light blend of monterey jack, cheddar, & mozzarella cheese, grated (Bought at Trader Joe’s)
8 oz. sour cream
8 oz. small curd cottage cheese
1/2 cup 2% reduced fat milk
Salt & pepper to taste
1 c frozen peas (optional)
Extra cheddar cheese, grated, for topping
Potato Topping (optional)
3 cups seasoned tater tots, thawed & crumbled (Bought them at Safeway)
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 cup parmigiano reggiano, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook pasta, per package instructions. Before adding macaroni, sprinkle salt & oregano to water at boiling point.
3. Drain pasta and transfer to a nonstick pot big enough to stir around the pasta with the cheese.
4. Add cheddar cheese, blended cheese, sour cream & cottage cheese.
5. Mix in pot until cheese melts, add milk. Add peas (optional).
6. Add salt & pepper to taste.
7. Transfer macaroni & cheese to a 9 x 13 x 2 in baking dish, non-stick preferred.
8. Even out top of macaroni.
9. Sprinkle extra cheese on top & bake until cheese melts, approximately 20 minutes.
10. If adding in Potato Topping, mix together crumbled tater tots with melted butter & grated parmigiano reggiano.
11. Sprinkle on top evenly & bake until tater tots are browned, approximately 20 minutes.
12. Pop in a New Kids on the Block DVD and enjoy with mac n cheese, they go best together. :0)
I have to say, these measurements are just an educated guess for me. I keep tasting the food as I go along to see if I need more flavor or not. I guess this is more of a guide than a recipe then. Either way, good luck! Please comment if you have made it or have made something similar, I’d love to hear about it! :0)